Sunday 30 October 2016

Wonder diary entry: Summer's diary by Kodi

Dear Diary

Yesterday was the first day I saw Auggie. In the morning Ximena told me about a new boy in her homeroom, called August; she told me how he was deformed. I was just like okay, but at lunch I saw him. I kind of gasped, like I tried not to but I couldn't help myself.

I was sitting at a table with some other girls from my grade. Everybody was unusually quiet and all seemed to be staring at something, so I looked over, and there he was sitting on a table by himself. Everybody on my table were pointing and whispering. I saw him glance at our table, then look away pretending not to notice. He was on his own so I went over to him. No big deal.

 As I walked over to Auggie's table I could feel the glare of the whole school on my back like lasers cutting into me.  When I got there I was like, “Hey, is this seat taken?” He looked up and stared at me like a total idiot. “Uh, no,” he said. I put my tray on the table, plopped my backpack on the floor and sat down across from him. Closer up he looked more strange. His eyes were about an inch below where they should be, like halfway down his cheeks. One of them is noticeably lower than the other. He has no eyebrows or lashes. His lower eye lids sag and you can see the red bits on the inside. His nose is massive compared to the rest of his face. He has no ears just little holes in the side of his head.

 I desperately searched my mind for something to say. “Hey our names kind or match,” I blurted out. I could see that he was confused.  "August, Summer," my eyes widened as I waited for him to get it. "Oh yeah," he said after a second. "Hey we could make a Summer table and people with Summer names can sit here…" 

By Kodi

No comments:

Post a Comment